Pages

Sep 17, 2011

Migui on colors

Yesterday, I was so happy that my son, Migui (who is 2yrs 2mos), was able to identify colors red, yellow and blue.

A month ago I started introducing to him the different primary colors using pieces of cloth with vivid colors. I have a cloth for each color. I then held each cloth while I say its name. Migui, who is very good at repeating what he heard, repeated the name of the color after hearing me say it. He easily remembered the names but could not match the name with the cloth representing the color. He would pick-up the blue cloth then say "yewow". After several days of repeating this exercise, he all of a sudden refused to say the color's name, instead he would say Antoine(Migui's first name) for the color red and Daddy for the color blue. At first, I was so puzzled by what he meant. I knew he was trying to say something, I just didn't knew then. I then realized that he was identifying the colors and associating them with the things in his life. For instance, most of Migui's shorts are color red so when he sees the red cloth he would say Antoine, while daddy's pick-up is color blue that's why he says "daddy" when he sees the blue cloth. I continued with the exercise but he refused to say the colors or say them but fail to match them with the right cloth. Then we had a break.

I was surprised when after several days of not doing our "colors activity", he looked for our cloths yesterday. At first try, he was able to name the color of each cloth correctly. Hooray for Migui!!! I guess all he needed was a break.

We are now adding colors white, pink, purple and orange.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post dear! :) So nice to have you in ROCKERs too! ;-) Feel free to visit my blogs anytime: www.trulyrichmom.com and www.teachermamatina.blogspot.com (about homeschooling). :-) Godbless always!

    ReplyDelete