Pages

Sep 6, 2011

Renewed Desire to Homeschool

   Today, I spent my time researching about homeschooling. I have read at a certain homeschooling web site key points on why one should homeschool and I felt strongly about the reasons given. The points given are completely in line with my principles about learning. I really felt in my heart that this is the way to go with my children. Even before, we have already started homeschooling since I give my daughter advance lessons during the summer. There was even a time that we've already finished studying one book before the school year even started.

   To examine further, I know my daughter's strengths and weaknesses therefore I know pretty well how to manage her study lessons to her  advantage. I also know her learning style so I know how to teach certain lessons based on that. For instance, I know that she loves Math and English and she learns them pretty fast. The pacing on her school set-up does not match her capability on these subjects. On the other hand, Filipino seems to be a bit of her waterloo since she practically grew up speaking mostly English. I think that she needs more time and to absorb her lessons to fully understand this subject.

   I know for a fact that she is a logical thinker and she loves figuring things out in order to make sense of things. This is not used to her full advantage in  the normal school setting. It is also advantageous to her to tickle her musical and spatial intelligence, something that is far fetched from the teaching style in school wherein the focus more is on textbook learning.

   Although she is doing well in school, I think that learning should be to her advantage by honing her to her full potential. I just think that the normal school setting is basically limited to what is written in their curriculum and time frame. I refuse to let her be boxed in to what the school deems appropriate for her to learn. I know what she's capable of and to not tap into these potentials is an offense to my child's intelligence. And so, it is with full justification that I decide to homeschool my daughter for good.